If you haven’t heard about the Emerald Ash Borer, you’ve probably been under a rock or in a coma for the last year or two. But, on the off chance that you don’t know about this nasty little bug, let the tree experts at Heritage Lawns & Irrigation fill you in. One of the most important things to know about treatment is that May and June are the best months to treat. With that in mind, here’s a quick rundown of the ABCs about EAB:
Facts about the Emerald Ash Borer
- Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) – a small beetle killing Ash trees throughout Canada and the U.S.
Related Read: The Emerald Ash Borer Is Here
- How It Kills – Bores into tree, lays eggs, larvae feed unseen under the bark cutting off nutrient flow to the tree.
- Result – All Ash trees will die unless treated.
Related Read: How to Identify an Ash Tree
- Best Time to Treat – May and June when the trees are actively taking up nutrients. The trees take up the treatment most efficiently during these months because it reaches all of their branches and leaves.
- Eco-Friendly Treatment Option – Heritage offers the only OMRI Organic Alternative treatment in Kansas City called TreeAzin. TreeAzin is effective in killing Emerald Ash Borers but, unlike other commonly used treatments, it is environmentally responsible.
Spread the Word to Save Ash Trees
According to an article from American Forests, the economic and ecological impact is staggering. Since it is most important to treat your Ash trees in May and June, it’s time to spread the word and ask your neighbors if they have Ash trees that need to be treated. Forward this blog post and help them identify and save their Ash trees too.