Your sprinkler system is an essential piece to your lawn care, it ensures your yard receives the water it needs. It is also a huge investment that you want to be able to use for many years to come. This is why it is important to have regular maintenance check-up to catch minor issues before they become big problems! When a sprinkler system runs efficiently, we often don’t think about them. They are underground, which makes them out-of-sight and out-of-mind. But, when they aren’t efficient, they will quickly drain both water and money into undesirable places.
Heritage Irrigation Coaches help you keep your system out-of-mind by performing routine maintenance checkups so you don’t have to but it is still a good idea to know how to spot problem areas. The following is a list of areas your Irrigation Coach covers when he visits your home.
Sprinkler Maintenance Checklist
- Look for signs of leaks like pooling water or poor performing heads – Don’t let a leaky system break your bank. You can save around 384 gallons of water a month!
- Check sprinkler head performance – Look for poor spray patterns from worn or broken nozzles, uneven coverage due to crooked heads, obstructed spray patterns, excessive water bypass from worn parts, and failure to pop up or retract
- Evaluate the valves and valve boxes and lids – Keep an eye out for leaks, corrosion, and damage
2. The Controller
- Ensure the controller is securely mounted onto the wall
- Clean off dirty or gathered dust
- Test the backup battery, replace if needed.
- Review programs and schedules, adjust to fit your lawn’s needs
- Test valve solenoids for proper resistance (this will inspect the electrical side of the system)
3. Main Tap
- Visually inspect for leaks
- Inspect boxes for settling that may damage the system
- Pressure test the main line for leaks
- Visually inspect for damage
- Test for operation.
5. Consider the Following
- Have you added plantings or pots that need additional coverage?
- Are there more water efficient products to consider?
- Do you need to plan for any major renovations?
While preventive maintenance doesn’t mean you will never have any problems it has been proven that it can save you money and minimize the headaches of emergencies. You have routine checks of your car oil and tires and other systems to keep it from stranding you on the side of the road, and checks of your sprinkler system will help keep you from standing in the front yard wondering what happened to my lawn?
If you have any questions or concerns about your system, contact your Irrigation Coach, today!
Check out the latest and greatest in sprinkler system technology – introducing the Smart Sprinkler Management System. Control it from your smart phone, anytime, anywhere. Soil moisture sensors keep you from wasting water. Save water and money too! Easily upgrade from your old system. To learn more about what this revolutionary new sprinkler system can do.